Salsa Braised Chicken Thighs
3-4 pounds Chicken thighs, skin on and bone in (about 10 pieces)
1 large Onion, julienned
1/2 jar Elkstone Farm Roasted Tomato Salsa
3 cups Chicken stock
Salt and Pepper to tase
1.Trim away excess skin and the fat that extends past the edge of the meat.
2. Season the thighs with salt and pepper
3. Place the thighs skin side down in a sauté pan over medium-heat. Let the thighs cook without moving them. After 2 minutes, reduce heat to medium. Once the skin has rendered its fat and become dark golden and crisp, turn the pieces over and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
4. Remove the thighs from the pan and discard all but 1 Tbsp of the fat in the pan.
5. Add the onions to the tablespoon of fat remaining in the pan. Cook for 2 minutes. After onions have softened, add salsa and chicken stock.
6. Nestle the thighs back in the pan along with any juices and bring to a simmer.
7. Cover and reduce heat to low. Cook for 3 hours. Alternatively, place pan in a preheated 300 degree oven and cook for 3 hours.
8. For the last 30 minutes of cooking using either method, remove the lid to thicken the space.
9. Serve whole or remove from the bone and shred for tacos.