Stuffed Zucchini Squash
1 medium Onion finely diced
2 cloves Garlic, minced
8 oz Hot Italian Sausage
1 cup Fresh Breadcrumbs from an Elkstone Baguette
1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1/2 cup Parsley, finely chopped
3 Tbsp Olive oil
1 Tomato, cored and finely chopped (approx 1 cup)
1 egg, beaten
4 large Zucchini, trimmed and cut in half lengthwise
1. Preheat oven on 350 degrees.
2. In a sauté pan over medium heat, cook onion for 2-3 minutes until softened.
3. Add garlic and sausage. Crumble the sausage into small pieces as it cooks.
4. Remove from heat and pour into a mixing bowl. Set aside to cool.
5. Using a teaspoon, scrape the seeds from the zucchini, leaving a quarter inch of flesh to serve as the shell.
6. Add breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, parsley, oil, tomato, and egg to the inion mixture. Season the zucchini halves with salt and pepper. Divide the filling between them. (Filling and assembling the stuffed zucchini can be done a day ahead.)
7. Place in a roasting pan and bake for 15-20 minutes, until zucchini is tender.