Salsa and Beer Braised Beef or Pork
3-4 pounds Beef Chuck or Pork Shoulder
Canola or olive oil for searing
1 large Onion, julienned
1 1/2 cups Water
1 12-oz bottle Beer, medium-bodied such as amber ale
1/2 jar Elkstone Rosted Tomato Salsa
To taste Salt and Pepper
1. Trim away any large pieces of fat and sliver-skin. Season the meat with salt and pepper.
2. In a sauté pan over medium heat, sear the meat. After 2 minutes, reduce heat to medium. Once the meat has become dark golden, turn the pieces over and repeat. Remove the meat from the pan.
3. Add more oil to the pan if needed. Add the onions. Cook for 2 minutes.
4. After the onions have softened, add salsa, beer and water.
5. Nestle the meat back in the pan along with any juices and bring to a simmer. Cover and reduce heat to low. Cook for 4 hours. Alternatively, place pan in a preheated 300 degree oven and cook for 4 hours.
6. For the last 30 minutes of cooking using wither method, remove the lid to thicken space.
7. Serve in pieces with spoonful of the sauce, or shred the meat to use in sandwich.