Roasted Carrot Soup
3 pounds carrots, scrubbed and tops removed
1 large leek, split and rinsed
2 ribs celery
1 clove garlic
pinch crushed red pepper
1/4 tsp turmeric
32 oz vegetable stock
1 Tbsp lemon juice or rice wine vinegar
tahini for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Lightly oil the carrots and put on a cookie sheet in a single layer. Roast for 15 minutes until they are dark golden brown and blistered. Set aside.
3. Roughly chop the leek and celery. Crush the garlic and remove the skin. Cook the leek, celery, and garlic with a touch of oil in an 8-quart pot over medium heat for about 5 minutes until softened.
4. Add turmeric and crushed red pepper. Cook for 1 minute to open up the aromatics.
5. Add roasted carrots and vegetable stock. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat. Simmer for 20 minutes.
6. Pour soup into a blender and puree until smooth and silky. Alternatively, puree the soap in the saucepan using a stick blender. Add lemon juice or vinegar and salt to taste.
7. Serve with drizzle of tahini.