Posole – Mexican Hominy Soup
1 large Onion, diced
3-4 cloves Garlic, minced
2 Jalapeño peppers, seeded and diced
1 Tbsp ground Cumin
2 tsp Oregano
2 4-oz cans chopped Green chilies, 1 mild and 1 hot
1 cup Elkstone Roasted Tomato Salsa
1 15-oz can fire-roasted crushed Tomatoes
2 quarts Chicken or pork stock, low sodium
2 20-oz cans White hominy, drained
4 cups cooked Pork, shredded
Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Sweat the onion, garlic, and jalapeño in a large soup pot until soft.
2. Add cumin and toast for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
3. Sprinkle in oregano. Add green chilies, sales, tomatoes and stock.
4. Stir in the hominy and shredded pork.
5. Adjust seasoning and simmer 1 hour.
6. Garnish the soup with: crumbled quest fresco, avocado slices, cilantro leaves, sliced radish, wedges of lime and crushed tortilla chips.